Clear

Please pick a keywork or category to proceed.

A Passion for Tiffany Lamps On View in the Neustadt Gallery at Queens Museum

Queens Museum

http://www.queensmuseum.org/

New York City Building, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens, NY 11368

Austrian immigrants Dr. Egon Neustadt and his wife Hildegard were among the earliest collectors of works by famed American artist Louis C. Tiffany (1848-1933) and they played a critical role in reviving interest in Tiffany’s lamps in the mid-twentieth century. In 1935, newly married and living in Flushing, Queens, the Neustadts purchased their first Tiffany lamp – a small Daffodil, for the incredible price of $12.50 – from a secondhand shop in Greenwich Village. Tiffany’s work was decidedly unfashionable at this time; indeed, Louis C. Tiffany died in 1933 and his Tiffany Studios would declare bankruptcy in 1937. But the Neustadts, undeterred by the current disinterest in Tiffany lamps, were struck by the beauty of the colorful glass and enchanted that the shade had been made by an artist from the beloved country they now called home. Over the course of the next fifty years, their collection grew to include more than 200 lamps of all shapes, sizes, and designs. It remains today the largest and most comprehensive lamp collection ever assembled. —Queens Museum


Comments

Popular tags

Art Break at carnegie hall at The Joyce broadway carnegie hall dan ouellette David H. Koch Theater jazz notes metropolitan opera new york city ballet New York City Center new york philharmonic nyc NY Philharmonic off-broadway Paul Taylor American Modern Dance piano Senior Editor ZEALnyc theater zealnyc